Rights & Reproductions
The Ohio History Connection sells high-resolution digital images and provides custom digitization of materials from our library, archival and museum collections for personal, non-profit or commercial use. Low-resolution copies available online are for non-commercial educational or research purposes only.
- Visit OhioPix to purchase rights-managed images from our online store.
- Complete the Image Order Form & Use Agreement (PDF) and send it to [email protected]
- If you are a member of the media, please contact Neil Thompson, Manager, Media and Public Relations, at [email protected] before placing your order.
- If you are representing an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact [email protected] before placing your order.
|Use Category||Description||Per Image Cost|
|Commercial*||Projects such as textbooks, for-profit books, articles, advertising and exhibitions|
Users lacking non-profit status
Distributions of more than 1,000 copies
Retail décor/public display
Non-profits with 501(c)3 status
Open educational resources
Private (in-home or non-public office) display
Self-publishing, small print runs or local history publications with limited distribution
|$25 (first file) + $2 (additional files)**|
*Permissions are issued on a one-time, all-media use basis in accordance with the Conditions of Reproduction. Permissions extend for the life of the project across all media (e.g. print, digital, in-context promotion). A separate use agreement must be made for any subsequent uses (e.g. different project or publication, new edition).
**Multiple files purchased for commercial or non-profit purposes are not subject to this discount.
|Size||Per Scan Cost|
|Flat & bound, up to 11" x 17"||$2|
|Flat & bound, 11" x 14" up to 20" x 30"||$5|
|Flat & bound, larger than 20" x 30"||$10|
|Audio, film, video||Inquire for pricing*|
- All materials are scanned in 24-bit color at 100% of their original size and saved as uncompressed TIFF (Tagged Image File Format) files
- Materials are scanned at a minimum of 600 PPI (smaller formats may be scanned at higher resolutions in relation to the dimensions of the original materials)
- Any extensive photo editing that deviates from our normal specifications can be completed at a rate of $75 per hour
For object photography, large orders, mass media reproductions, merchandising or other uses not described above, contact [email protected] to discuss pricing.
|Digital download link by email||No charge|
|Tax (Ohio residents)||Add 7.5%|
Terms & Conditions
- One-Time Use. The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of the Ohio History Connection is granted on a one-time basis only, and only for private study, scholarship or research. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
- Use Agreement. Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection. Reproduction of any materials that are a part of Ohio History Connection’s collection without submission of a request for reproduction to Ohio History Connection, using the organization’s forms for such requests, is prohibited. Reproduction of any materials submitted by or owned by any institution participating in the Ohio Memory program without that institution’s permission is prohibited.
- Credit. Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material owned by the Ohio History Connection must credit the Ohio History Connection. The credit line should read “Courtesy of the Ohio History Connection” and should include the image or call number. The Ohio History Connection appreciates receiving a copy or tearsheet of any publication/presentation containing material from the organization’s collections
- Indemnification. In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of the Ohio History Connection as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless the OHC and its Trustees, Officers, employees and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
- Reproduction of Copyrighted Material. Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights.
- Copyright. The Ohio History Connection provides permission to use materials based on the the organization’s ownership of the collection. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials available through Ohio Memory. To the extent that applicants seek to reproduce or use materials that are the property of or have been contributed by institutions other than the Ohio History Connection, applicant shall be responsible for securing permission from the contributing institution.
Warning concerning copyright restriction: The copyright law of the U. S. (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be “used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research.” If a user make a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of “fair use,” that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
- Photographs of Objects. The Ohio History Connection retains rights to photographs taken of artifacts owned by the Ohio History Connection. The images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use.
In maintaining the authenticity and preservation of historic artifacts, the Ohio History Connection will not alter or endanger items in the collection for the purposes of reproduction or digitization. By completing the Image Order Form & Use Agreement (PDF), the signee acknowledges that any and all requests will be completed with conservation in mind and that the images produced may reflect the physical condition of the item which may exhibit dirt, scratches, stains, tears, fading, etc.
Custom digitization, image processing, and microfilm duplication fees are non-refundable after files/products have been delivered.
Ohio Memory includes collections from the Ohio History Connection’s archives, as well as over 390 other institutions across the state—if you’re interested in reproducing images not owned by the Ohio History Connection, please contact the Submitting Institution directly for permission.
For more information, contact Rights and Reproduction staff at [email protected] or 614.297.2530.