Copyright & Takedown
Notice to Users
The Ohio History Connection makes efforts to ensure that it has appropriate rights to provide access to content through its Digital Collections Website, Ohio Memory. These materials are made available for educational and scholarly use.
If you are a rights holder and are concerned that you have found material on the Ohio History Connection’s Digital Collections Website without your permission and believe our inclusion of this material on the Digital Collections Website violates your rights (e.g. inclusion is not covered by the Fair Use or other exemption to a copyright holder’s rights), please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following:
- your contact information (including email address and phone);
- exact URL where you found the material;
- details that describe the material (title, collection name, number of items, etc.);
- the reason why you believe that your rights have been violated, with any pertinent documentation;
- a statement that you in good faith believe that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- a statement that the information in your notification is accurate and that you are the rights holder or are authorized to act on behalf of the owner.
Upon receipt of a request, Ohio History Connection staff will:
- promptly acknowledge the request via email or other means of communication if you do not have an email account;
- assess the validity of the request; and
- upon request, we may temporarily remove the material from public view while we assess the concern.
After our assessment is complete, we will take appropriate action and communicate that action to you.
This procedure governs only Ohio History Connection materials. All submitting institutions have their own procedures and should be contacted directly regarding takedown requests for their materials.
Usage, transmission, downloading or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by Fair Use Copyright Law requires the written permission of the copyright owners. When possible, the Ohio History Connection provides information about copyright owners and restrictions concerning its collections. Determining the existence of copyright or any other legal restrictions, as well as obtaining permission from the copyright holder, is solely the responsibility of the patron.
Warning concerning copyright restrictions: The copyright law of the U. S. (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be “used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research.” If a user make a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of “fair use,” that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.