Submitting institutions may have their own procedures and should be contacted directly regarding their materials. These procedures supplement any procedures of the submitting institutions.
ALL WHO VIEW OR USE IMAGES AVAILABLE FROM OHIO MEMORY AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS STATED HERE.
- One-Time Use. The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of the Ohio History Connection is granted on a one-time basis only, and only for private study, scholarship or research. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
- Use Agreement. Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection. Reproduction of any materials that are a part of Ohio History Connection’s collection without submission of a request for reproduction to Ohio History Connection, using the organization’s forms for such requests, is prohibited. Reproduction of any materials submitted by or owned by any institution participating in the Ohio Memory program without that institution’s permission is prohibited.
- Credit. Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material owned by the Ohio History Connection must credit the Ohio History Connection. The credit line should read “Courtesy of the Ohio History Connection” and should include the image or call number. The Ohio History Connection appreciates receiving a copy or tearsheet of any publication/presentation containing material from the organization’s collections
- Indemnification. In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of the Ohio History Connection as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless the OHC and its Trustees, Officers, employees and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
- Reproduction of Copyrighted Material. Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights.
- Copyright. The Ohio History Connection provides permission to use materials based on the the organization’s ownership of the collection. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials available through Ohio Memory. To the extent that applicants seek to reproduce or use materials that are the property of or have been contributed by institutions other than the Ohio History Connection, applicant shall be responsible for securing permission from the contributing institution.
Warning concerning copyright restriction: The copyright law of the U. S. (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be “used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research.” If a user make a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of “fair use,” that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
- Photographs of Objects. The Ohio History Connection retains rights to photographs taken of artifacts owned by the Ohio History Connection. The images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use
The Ohio History Connection makes efforts to ensure that it has appropriate rights to provide access to content through its Digital Collections Website, Ohio Memory. These materials are made available for educational and scholarly use.
If you are a rights holder and are concerned that you have found material on the Ohio History Connection’s Digital Collections Website without your permission and believe our inclusion of this material on the Digital Collections Website violates your rights (e.g. inclusion is not covered by the Fair Use or other exemption to a copyright holder’s rights), please contact email@example.com and include the following:
- your contact information (including email address and phone);
- exact URL where you found the material;
- details that describe the material (title, collection name, number of items, etc.);
- the reason why you believe that your rights have been violated, with any pertinent documentation;
- a statement that you in good faith believe that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- a statement that the information in your notification is accurate and that you are the rights holder or are authorized to act on behalf of the owner.
Upon receipt of a request, Ohio History Connection staff will:
- promptly acknowledge the request via email or other means of communication if you do not have an email account;
- assess the validity of the request; and
- upon request, we may temporarily remove the material from public view while we assess the concern.
After our assessment is complete, we will take appropriate action and communicate that action to you.
Sensitive Collections Statement
Revised May 2021
The Ohio History Connection Collections are comprised of many culturally significant materials. Some were created to be private or confidential and are now accessible as part of the historical record. Some contain offensive images, language or content which reflect the creators’ views or those of the period in which they were created, written or recorded. Many are not appropriate by today’s standards of respectful expression and actions. They serve as reminders of the importance of increased cultural competency, inclusion and equity.
We recognize our past role in promoting these perspectives, and we are working to ensure that the histories we preserve and interpret today encompass the experiences of all those who have called Ohio home. There is much work yet to do. Please view our new strategic plan to see where we are headed.
Please note that as part of our commitment to presenting American Indian perspectives, the Ohio History Connection complies with the directives of authorized tribal representatives regarding the public presentation of images and information from their ancestral communities. We do this in accordance with federal law and our American Indian Policy.
If you have questions, comments or concerns, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updated July 2012